Sinop Fortress Prison
: Sinop Kale Cezaevi
) was a state prison
situated in the inside of the Sinop Fortress
in Sinop, Turkey
. As one of the oldest prisons of Turkey, it was established in 1887 within the inner fortress of the centuries-old fortification located on the northwestern part of Cape Sinop. The prison was closed down in 1997 and the inmates were transferred to a modern prison newly built in Sinop.
Located direct at the coast of Black Sea
on the northwest part of Cape Sinop, the Sinop Fortress was constructed initially in the 7th century BC
when the city was re-founded as a Greek colony
from the city of Miletus
. It was extended and repaired several times in its history by Persians
, Kingdom of Pontus
. The fortress took its main form during the reign of Pontus King Mithradates Eupator
in 72 BC.
Following the capture of the city on October 3, 1214, Izz ad-Din Kaykaus II
, sultan of Seljuk Turks
divided the fortress in two parts by erecting a wall in north-south direction. The inner fortress of today was formed by adding another wall in the west-east direction. Since then, the inner fortress was used also as shipyard
. The oldest document that shows the fortress was used as dungeon dates back to 1568.
The walls of the fortress are 18 m high and 3 m wide. There are eleven watchtowers
of 22 m height, five of them added during the construction of the inner fortress